Attention to the community,
Zebediah Beck
2023-11-24 22:50:01 UTC
I'm subscribed to different mailing lists of the community in connection
with my message here is my proposal or suggestion.

Good day sir/madam

I'm a long time debian user but am a first time user of the mailing list
and bug report systems, I would like that contribute technical doxygen
documentation to libbitcoin in the form of doctests and comments in thanks
for your tireless work on this magnificent ecosystem.

Thanks Zebb
RL
2023-11-26 12:20:01 UTC
Post by Zebediah Beck
I'm subscribed to different mailing lists of the community in connection
with my message here is my proposal or suggestion.
Good day sir/madam
I'm a long time debian user but am a first time user of the mailing list
and bug report systems, I would like that contribute technical doxygen
documentation to libbitcoin in the form of doctests and comments in thanks
for your tireless work on this magnificent ecosystem.
According to https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/libbitcoin that library is
not in Debian since 2018 so maybe better to pick something else - for
example, there seems to be a Debian cryptocoin team
https://tracker.debian.org/teams/cryptocoin/ who may like help, if that
is your interest

Adding technical documentation is usually best done via the upstream
project because it is generally not Debian-specific, needs to be kept in
sync with upstream changes.

Debian-specific documentaiton tends to be less technical (debconf
prompts, release-notes, installation guides etc)
Zebediah Beck
2023-11-26 21:40:01 UTC
Wonderful thanks that is well and good with me, please explain why
libbitcoin was removed from Debian in 2018?

I would like to also contribute these less technical documentation as I
seek to contribute full-time to the community

Best Zebb
RL
2023-11-26 22:30:01 UTC
Post by Zebediah Beck
Wonderful thanks that is well and good with me, please explain why
libbitcoin was removed from Debian in 2018?
Here's how you can find this:

find the package on https://tracker.debian.org/ (search for libbitcoin)
follow links to https://bugs.debian.org/906801 which says "Please remove
libbitcoin from unstable: It is unused in Debian."
Post by Zebediah Beck
I would like to also contribute these less technical documentation as I
seek to contribute full-time to the community
I suggest that the way to contribute in English is to:
- find something that needs improving, (wrong/missing/confusing documentation/etc)
- work out how to improve it (requires own research and translating of existing documentation
into something readable by non-experts)
- submit proposed text to this list for comments (follow the
tips at http://jbr.me.uk/linux/esl.html for writing style advice)
- make changes in response and resubmit
- when no more comments, send the final text as a bug report and merge request via salsa.

non-English speakers can presumably skip the second step and translate
existing text from English
Zebediah Beck