Could somebody look at the discussion at merge 5
shirish शिरीष
2018-09-03 23:40:01 UTC
Dear all,

Can somebody who knows the Debian-java integration and otherwise
please take a look at the discussion at
https://salsa.debian.org/java-team/java-policy/merge_requests/5 and
comment both on the code and the reaction happening therein.
--
Regards,
Shirish Agarwal शिरीष अग्रवाल
EB80 462B 08E1 A0DE A73A 2C2F 9F3D C7A4 E1C4 D2D8
Osamu Aoki
2018-09-04 11:00:01 UTC
Post by shirish शिरीष
Dear all,
Can somebody who knows the Debian-java integration and otherwise
please take a look at the discussion at
https://salsa.debian.org/java-team/java-policy/merge_requests/5 and
comment both on the code and the reaction happening therein.
As I posted there, you missed reading my post to this list.

This is merged to master with fix to your changes and updated build
script. I think you should close merge request ... I don't know how.

Regards,

Osamu
Emmanuel Bourg
2018-09-04 22:30:01 UTC
Post by Osamu Aoki
This is merged to master with fix to your changes and updated build
script. I think you should close merge request ... I don't know how.
The FAQ in the java-policy repository hasn't been updated though. I'm a
bit confused, do we have two versions of the Java FAQ in different
repositories? Which one was more recent before shirish changes?

Emmanuel Bourg
Javier Fernandez-Sanguino
2018-09-05 08:00:01 UTC
Post by Emmanuel Bourg
Post by Osamu Aoki
This is merged to master with fix to your changes and updated build
script. I think you should close merge request ... I don't know how.
The FAQ in the java-policy repository hasn't been updated though. I'm a
bit confused, do we have two versions of the Java FAQ in different
repositories? Which one was more recent before shirish changes?
As mentioned previously in the thread related to this document the
authoritative location is this one:
https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/java-faq

That is where all the document history is (migrated from the former DDP
SVN).

Java-policy contains a *copy* of the document and does not have the commit
history.

Best regards

Javier
Emmanuel Bourg
2018-09-05 08:10:01 UTC
Post by Javier Fernandez-Sanguino
As mentioned previously in the thread related to this document the
authoritative location is this one:
https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/java-faq
That is where all the document history is (migrated from the former DDP
SVN).
Java-policy contains a *copy* of the document and does not have the
commit history.
Ok, I now see in the java-policy commit history that the FAQ was
periodically synchronized with the DDP repository. Thank you for the
clarification.

I observe though that Sylvestre Ledru edited the FAQ in 2013, and I'm
not sure the changes were propagated to the DDP repository. If the
contents diverged it would be nice to reconcile them first before doing
more changes.

Emmanuel Bourg
Javier Fernandez-Sanguino
2018-09-05 13:30:02 UTC
Post by Emmanuel Bourg
I observe though that Sylvestre Ledru edited the FAQ in 2013, and I'm
not sure the changes were propagated to the DDP repository. If the
contents diverged it would be nice to reconcile them first before doing
more changes.
Thanks for spotting, I will take a look at it this week and try to
reconcile these changes.

Best regards

Javier
shirish शिरीष
2018-09-05 18:50:01 UTC
at bottom :-
Post by Javier Fernandez-Sanguino
Hi,
<snipped>
Post by Javier Fernandez-Sanguino
As mentioned previously in the thread related to this document the
https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/java-faq
That is where all the document history is (migrated from the former DDP
SVN).
Java-policy contains a *copy* of the document and does not have the commit
history.
Best regards
Javier
Dear Javier,

I am and was concerned because the recent commits I did which Osamu
Aoki also copied on his repo. doesn't seem to appear on
https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/java-faq .

Do you want me to reopen a merge request from my repo. to
https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/java-faq . I was under the
impression that Osamu had already done that and also made a few
changes of his own but see no updates of either :(

I used https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/java-faq/commits/master to
see the history but didn't see anything which jumped out at me.
Osamu Aoki
2018-09-06 13:50:02 UTC
Hi

I now understand the situation. Let me sort out.
(My conclusion is at the bottom.)
<snipped>
Post by shirish शिरीष
Post by Javier Fernandez-Sanguino
As mentioned previously in the thread related to this document the
https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/java-faq
I see.
Post by shirish शिरीष
Post by Javier Fernandez-Sanguino
That is where all the document history is (migrated from the former
DDP SVN).
Java-policy contains a *copy* of the document and does not have the
commit history.
I see. This has some newer data which I will review as below.
Post by shirish शिरीष
I am and was concerned because the recent commits I did which Osamu
Aoki also copied on his repo. doesn't seem to appear on
https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/java-faq .
Excuse me for my confusion. Since I don't have the write commit access
to java-team/java-policy, I was making a clone of master
java-team/java-policy repo. No wonder you guys didn't notice my push to
there.

master repo: https://salsa.debian.org/java-team/java-policy
my clone repo: https://salsa.debian.org/osamu/java-policy
(This includes shirish's changes)

But these doesn't use Javi's latest upstream java-faq data.
Post by shirish शिरीष
Do you want me to reopen a merge request from my repo. to
https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/java-faq .
No (to shirish) since your changes are in the WIP state and doesn't
build as is. My repo contains buildable source.

Let's check Javi's comment of which I initially overlooked.
Post by shirish शिरीष
I was under the impression that Osamu had already done that and also
made a few changes of his own but see no updates of either :(
As explained above. You can see my repo in:
Post by shirish शिरीष
I used https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/java-faq/commits/master to
see the history but didn't see anything which jumped out at me.
I don't know I jump or not. But let's look into Javi's changes in this
ddp-team/java-faq repo:

ddp-team/java-faq has Italian translation (no po4a) and French
translation (with po4a). java-team/java-policy dropped Italian
translation as OUTDATED.
691112c ("Removed the outdated italian translation of the FAQ", 2015-09-23)

The only new commit for the English content in Javi's ddp-team/java-faq
is:
7b4c3e5 ("Improve information on bug/issue reporting and add a pointer
to the location of this document's sources", 2014-05-22)

This change is mostly about repo URL change (patch attached)
but it is a SVN repo which is not usable any more.

We don't need to merge most parts of this change.

Javi's ddp-team/java-faq is getting copy from java-team/java-policy
7a0da2c ("Sync the content with the content available in the
java-common package, in which Sylvestre Ledru has introduced
changes in the package sources for some time (previously
java-common sources were updated with the DDP sources)",
2014-05-18)

(Yes there are many build system changes. But they are not important if
we migrate to DocBook XML)

The raison d'etre of Javi's ddp-team/java-faq activity was to publish
the latest Java FAQ to the DDP web site by building from SVN checkout
with cron. With migration to salsa, all SVN services are out and
the publishing functionality which relies on the SVN are not working.

Please note that most DDP documents are published by using the released
unstable package. We already have cron script in place for Java FAQ and
Java Policy.

+++++ CONCLUSION +++++

In light of above analysis, let me propose the following actions:

1. Merge changes published as master in the forked repo:
https://salsa.debian.org/osamu/java-policy
into the master repo:
https://salsa.debian.org/java-team/java-policy

I just submitted write access to Debian Java Maintainers. If I get
approved, I will push my forked repo contents to the master repo.
(If I get rejected, I will create a merge request, so someone with
write access can merge.)

2. I can convert FR and IT translation data to the updated PO file. Of
course, there will be some fuzzy strings but there will not be any
outdated translation since my conversion uses po4a. This is
relatively simple task for me.

3. Check CRON script to make sure we have the latest data published.

4. I guess we need to get involved by getting write access or sending
merge request to update FAQ. Also, close
https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/java-faq
to avoid any future confusion.

Regards,

Osamu
Osamu Aoki
2018-09-06 14:20:01 UTC
I also realized I forgot to upload the package.
(I hope my upload will be accepted)

On Thu, Sep 06, 2018 at 10:44:46PM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:

<snipped>
Post by Osamu Aoki
+++++ CONCLUSION +++++
https://salsa.debian.org/osamu/java-policy
https://salsa.debian.org/java-team/java-policy
I just submitted write access to Debian Java Maintainers. If I get
approved, I will push my forked repo contents to the master repo.
(If I get rejected, I will create a merge request, so someone with
write access can merge.)
I pushed them after getting write access :-) So you all see the
updates now.
Post by Osamu Aoki
2. I can convert FR and IT translation data to the updated PO file. Of
course, there will be some fuzzy strings but there will not be any
outdated translation since my conversion uses po4a. This is
relatively simple task for me.
3. Check CRON script to make sure we have the latest data published.
4. I guess we need to get involved by getting write access or sending
merge request to update FAQ. Also, close
https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/java-faq
to avoid any future confusion.
I will work on these
Post by Osamu Aoki
<abstract>
-Answers to Frequently Asked Questions on Debian and Java
-(Note: some information is not up-to-date). Any changes/corrections to this
+Answers to Frequently Asked Questions on Debian and Java. Any changes/corrections to this
FAQ are appreciated. Please send them to the Debian Bug Tracking System as
described in <ref id="bugs">.
Include these ;-) But not urgent.
Post by Osamu Aoki
-<P>Please note that this FAQ is still outdated but gets updated step by step.
+<P>Please note that this FAQ might be, sometimes, outdated but it gets updated
+step by step. Contributors (you included!) help improve the content
+and keep it up-to-date.
Include these ;-) But not urgent.
Post by Osamu Aoki
-<p> Please file bug reports against the java-common package if you find errors
-or have suggestions on how to improve this document. However, make sure you
-have read the latest online version of the english text available at <url
-id="http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq/index.html"> before
+<p>Please file bug reports against the java-common package if you find errors
+or have suggestions on how to improve this document. However, make sure first you
+are reading the latest version. If you are reading a translator, look first
+if the issue you have found does exist also in the original english version.
+You can always find the latest verion online version of the english text available at <url
+id="http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq/">. Please, check it before
filing a bug report. Translations, if available, and the offline version in
the java-common package might be out of date.
I realize CRON script seems to need adjustment ... I see:

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq/index.html 2013-06
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq/index.en.html 2014-05

Let's see new HTML will be published with the next CRON run.

These are old data since we don't erase old pages (we just overwrite them).
Post by Osamu Aoki
+<p>You can also check if the issue you have found has already been reported. To
+do this, please browse through the bugs you will find in
+<url id="bugs.debian.org/java-common" name="java-common's list of reported bugs">.
+
+<p>Bugs on this FAQ, either for the english version or its translations, can
+be filed using <url id="https://www.debian.org/Bugs/" name="Debian's Bug Tracking
+System">. Please report the bugs against the <package>java-common</package> package.
+
I guess pointer to wiki page may be useful.

Osamu
Osamu Aoki
2018-09-06 16:10:01 UTC
Post by Osamu Aoki
I also realized I forgot to upload the package.
(I hope my upload will be accepted)
As I tried to add French and Italian translation to FAQ, this is what I
found.

1. Italian translation has too much old info. It's best not to make PO
with unmatched string risks. So drop it as japa-policy package did.

2. French translation PO for XML was generated locally. But I realized
including both FAQ and POLICY in one package makes these translation
system to be mixed up and non-optimal. It is cleaner to take out JAVA
FAQ as a separate source package. But that has some negatives. I can
work around this problem with the current source. ... Any thought ...

Osamu
shirish शिरीष
2018-09-06 18:50:02 UTC
at bottom :-
Post by Osamu Aoki
Hi,
Post by Osamu Aoki
I also realized I forgot to upload the package.
(I hope my upload will be accepted)
As I tried to add French and Italian translation to FAQ, this is what I
found.
1. Italian translation has too much old info. It's best not to make PO
with unmatched string risks. So drop it as japa-policy package did.
2. French translation PO for XML was generated locally. But I realized
including both FAQ and POLICY in one package makes these translation
system to be mixed up and non-optimal. It is cleaner to take out JAVA
FAQ as a separate source package. But that has some negatives. I can
work around this problem with the current source. ... Any thought ...
Osamu
Dear Osamu,

It might be a good idea to CC the il8n team and also ping the last
translator in the hopes we get current translations so those could be
shared.
Emmanuel Bourg
2018-09-06 14:40:01 UTC
Post by Osamu Aoki
Please note that most DDP documents are published by using the released
unstable package. We already have cron script in place for Java FAQ and
Java Policy.
Interesting, so this means the Java Policy updates were published to the
web site with uploads of the java-common package in unstable? Do you
know if the process was updated to get the policy from the java-policy
package instead of java-common?

Emmanuel Bourg
Osamu Aoki
2018-09-06 14:40:01 UTC
Post by Emmanuel Bourg
Post by Osamu Aoki
Please note that most DDP documents are published by using the released
unstable package. We already have cron script in place for Java FAQ and
Java Policy.
Interesting, so this means the Java Policy updates were published to the
web site with uploads of the java-common package in unstable? Do you
No java-policy package.
Post by Emmanuel Bourg
know if the process was updated to get the policy from the java-policy
package instead of java-common?
Now that I uploaded java-policy, let's see if that is accepted and let's
see CRON will pick up in 4-6 hours

Osamu