#612993 debian-faq: FAQ: Please convert SGML to DocBook XML
Joost van Baal-Ilić
2017-11-30 10:20:02 UTC
Hi Osamu, victory e.a.,

Yes, we need to finally convert the Debian FAQ from debiandoc to modern DocBook
XML, so that obsolete debiandoc toolchain can get removed.

I just found out that running "debiandoc2dbk debian-faq.sgml" from within
an SVN checkout produces pretty neat debian-faq.dbk/*.dbk files. That
seems to work :)

victory: I guess that's what you did to produce faq-db5.tbz, right?

I am pretty sure our Makefile needs some work too, after this conversion...

Osamu: do you have time to work on this, soonish? I am not quite sure what
would be the best course of action now: what should be done first? Perhaps I
could first release the current FAQ? debian/changelog lists enough changes to
warrant a release I guess... I believe I have some time soonish and could e.g.
release within a week from now.

Or I could try to do the conversion myself, and make it build again, and make
sure the po4a infrastructure still works. However, I'm afraid that would take
me longer than a month...

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Bye,

Joost
victory
2017-11-30 15:20:02 UTC
On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 11:14:54 +0100
Post by Joost van Baal-Ilić
I just found out that running "debiandoc2dbk debian-faq.sgml" from within
an SVN checkout produces pretty neat debian-faq.dbk/*.dbk files. That
seems to work :)
victory: I guess that's what you did to produce faq-db5.tbz, right?
no, I have never used the debiandoc tool, just edited tags using text editor :)
--
victory
no need to CC me :-)
Osamu Aoki
2018-01-11 13:20:02 UTC
Post by Joost van Baal-Ilić
Hi Osamu, victory e.a.,
Yes, we need to finally convert the Debian FAQ from debiandoc to modern DocBook
XML, so that obsolete debiandoc toolchain can get removed.
I am quite busy with many things. So This is low in my priority.

Please go ahead do what is needed. Conversion within few months is good ;-)

Now that I finished ibus, getmail, maildrop, debian-reference uploads, I
need to work on debmake-doc, maint-guide and yes uscan. See
https://bugs.debian.org/811565

Too much traveling and work ...

Osamu
Joost van Baal-Ilić
2018-01-21 17:00:02 UTC
Hi Osamu e.a.,
Post by Osamu Aoki
Post by Joost van Baal-Ilić
Yes, we need to finally convert the Debian FAQ from debiandoc to modern DocBook
XML, so that obsolete debiandoc toolchain can get removed.
I am quite busy with many things. So This is low in my priority.
Please go ahead do what is needed. Conversion within few months is good ;-)
OK, I'll go ahead. A few months indeed is my ETA :)

I'll first try to get a new FAQ upload out; once that's done I'll focus on the
conversion.
Post by Osamu Aoki
Now that I finished ibus, getmail, maildrop, debian-reference uploads, I
need to work on debmake-doc, maint-guide and yes uscan. See
https://bugs.debian.org/811565
Fixed on Jan 17, very nice!
Post by Osamu Aoki
Too much traveling and work ...
It took me more than a week to write this reply; life is similar here :)

Thanks for your reply!

Bye,

Joost