[release-notes] The two last weeks up to the release
Niels Thykier
2017-06-05 07:30:01 UTC

Sorry for being a late with this.

The release notes are not quite done yet. Lets summaries this as:

Still opening:
==============

We still expect changes to these chapters (in order of expected
frequencies of changes)

* chapter 5
* chapter 2

Probably done:
==============

List of chapters that seem to be done or not have any outstanding change
requests (except possible English review):

* chapter 1
* chapter 3 (?)
* chapter 4
* chapter 6
* chapter A
* chapter B

Let me know if you disagree with any of these.

English review done:
====================

There has been some review already, but I don't think any of the
chapters have been declared "done".

Timeline:
=========

We need some time to finish the release notes, l10n-english some time to
review it and the translators even more time to translate it. I imagine
we split the time something like this:

Content + English review:

* Today - 2017-06-09: Updates to chapter 2+5 + English review
* 2017-06-10 - 2017-06-11: Content freeze of chapters, English review
does a final run though
* 2017-06-12 - 2017-06-17: Release notes is frozen except for critical
issues.

* After 2017-06-18: Release notes are open again as we get reports of
changes or undocumented issues.

Translators:

* Today - 2017-06-09: Finish the "Probably done" chapters. If time
and energy permits, start on chapter 2 and then chapter 5.
* 2017-06-10 - 2017-06-11: Start on the remaining (NB: English review
ongoing - noise may occur)
* 2017-06-12 - 2017-06-17: (Hopefully) no disturbances to your
translations

I admit it is not a lot of time to finish. But it should get us a lot
of the way while hopefully leaving enough time for everyone to do their
part.

Thanks,
~Niels
Javier Fernandez-Sanguino
2017-06-05 09:50:01 UTC
Dear Niels,

El 5 jun. 2017 9:23 a. m., "Niels Thykier" <***@thykier.net> escribió:

I admit it is not a lot of time to finish. But it should get us a lot
of the way while hopefully leaving enough time for everyone to do their
part.

Thank you for providing a plan for both proofreading, reviews and
translations. With my translator's hat own, I think It is really helpful to
have a plan like this in order to plan days of work.

Best regards,

Javier
Baptiste Jammet
2017-06-06 12:10:03 UTC
Post by Niels Thykier
==============
* chapter 3 (?)
See #864231
Post by Niels Thykier
* chapter 4
See #864227
Post by Niels Thykier
Let me know if you disagree with any of these.
====================
[...]
Post by Niels Thykier
=========
[...]

Thank you for handling this as well.

Baptiste
Niels Thykier
2017-06-10 09:20:02 UTC
Post by Baptiste Jammet
Hi,
Post by Niels Thykier
==============
* chapter 3 (?)
See #864231
Post by Niels Thykier
* chapter 4
See #864227
Thanks, I have merged them now. Apologies for the delay.

With this, I have closed the release-notes for content updates (for
planned updates) and translations can start now with less noise.

* There may still be some English review on going.

* If there appear any last minute errata of sufficient severity, I may
still include those. I hope there will be none, but it is not
something I can plan for. There might some brewing related to:
- xorg libinput driver
- network (possibly related to net-tools deprecation)
Post by Baptiste Jammet
Post by Niels Thykier
Let me know if you disagree with any of these.
====================
[...]
Post by Niels Thykier
=========
[...]
Thank you for handling this as well.
Baptiste
You are welcome. :)

I have put this into release checklist for buster, so I don't have to
pull a last minute plan out of my ... hat. For one, I am not sure I
made the right trade-offs in this plan (but it was better than not
having a plan). Secondly, I haven't heard back from Justin yet, so I am
not sure it whether it fits him at all.

Also, it occurs to me that the workflow post-release is somewhat
optimal. There is no branching / merging flow, so all changes goes live
without translators having a chance to prepare for it. It is not new,
so I am not going to "rush-fix" it right now. But it definitely
something we should consider working on for buster.

Thanks,
~Niels