X Resources for emacs
Bob Bernstein
2019-07-09 17:50:01 UTC
I very glad to have debiandoc-sgml (which I have loved for
years) playing quite nicely with psgml in emacs 24.5.1.
This is in a recent upgrade to stretch:

Linux 4.9.0-9-amd64 #1 SMP Debian
4.9.168-1+deb9u3 (2019-06-16) x86_64 GNU/Linux

I have no troule enlarging the text (or "page") font used
by emacs -- using my .emacs file -- but the menu titles
and drop-downs require me to use a magnifying glass due to
my poor (and a bit old) vision.

I believe the size of these screen artefacts (menu titles
etc.) could be tweaked using X Resources. This instance of
emacs is linked to GTK. I have not yet been able to find
the names of the needed resources for my problem.

Thank you
--
"In our age there is no such thing as ‘keeping out of
politics’. All issues are political issues, and politics

George Orwell "Politics and the English Language" (1946)
Joost van Baal-Ilić
2019-07-10 09:30:01 UTC
Hi Bob,

Thanks for reporting your issue. The discussion ideally takes place on the
debian-user list. Cc-ed.

Thanks, Bye,

Joost
Bob Bernstein
2019-07-11 00:40:01 UTC
Post by Joost van Baal-Ilić
The discussion ideally takes place on the
debian-user list.
Your email, and action, are most unpleasant. "Ideally" you might
think about leaving people alone to follow their fate as best
they can. Normally, in a case such as yours, that is exactly
what I would be trying to do, but since you appear to be quite
impulsive and therefore potentially dangerous to others,
something must be said.
Post by Joost van Baal-Ilić
Cc-ed.
Totally unacceptable. Did it dawn on you to ask me about such a
step as cc'ing my note to debian-users? Did you suppose that
perhaps I realized that is where "ideally" I should have placed
my inquiry, but that I was prevented from doing so by the
intercession of magical forces aligned against me? Is that what
you think?

On the other hand, did you pause even for moment to consider,
"Perhaps Mr. Bernstein would rather not post to debian-user?"
Somehow I doubt that. (Whether or not that consideration is true
is none of your business.)

I am working very hard to stay away from any ad hominem
discourse. I'll keep it "about me." In well over twenty years (I
believe) posting to various debian lists, including debian-doc,
debian-user, and others, I cannot recall someone with
'.debian.org' email domain taking it on himself to move my mail
to another list without so much as a "Hi How do you do?"

You typify why the European Union is approaching its death
throes. (Okay, I failed to steer clear of ad hominem. Firing
squad at dawn?)
--
What can be asserted without evidence can be
dismissed without evidence.
Hitchens' Razor
Joost van Baal-Ilić
2019-07-11 03:40:01 UTC
Indeed I overstepped. I am sorry.
Bob Bernstein
2019-07-11 04:00:02 UTC
Post by Joost van Baal-Ilić
Indeed I overstepped. I am sorry.
Thank you.

I too regret the intemperance of one of my closing remarks.