help with doc-debian package
Joost van Baal-Ilić
2023-02-01 19:50:01 UTC
Hiya,

FWIW: our beloved doc-debian [1] package, which ships stuff like
/usr/share/doc/debian/constitution.txt.gz and
/usr/share/doc/debian/social-contract.txt.gz is another one of those old and
strange (by-hand stuff @ ftp-master, e.g.) packages in need of some extra care.
I don't think I have time to do the necessary updates in time for the freeze...

The work needed consists of interfacing with our infrastructure, no coding or
text drafting necessary.

Bye,

Joost

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/doc-debian .
Sean Whitton
2023-02-02 16:50:01 UTC
Hello,
Post by Joost van Baal-Ilić
Hiya,
FWIW: our beloved doc-debian [1] package, which ships stuff like
/usr/share/doc/debian/constitution.txt.gz and
/usr/share/doc/debian/social-contract.txt.gz is another one of those old and
I don't think I have time to do the necessary updates in time for the freeze...
The work needed consists of interfacing with our infrastructure, no coding or
text drafting necessary.
I can adopt it if you would like. Let me know.
Sean Whitton
Joost van Baal-Ilić

Joost
Joost van Baal-Ilić
2023-02-14 13:50:01 UTC
Hi Jathan,

Sorry, I only now see your reply...

Thanks a lot for your offer to help!
Post by Joost van Baal-Ilić
Hi Sean,
Post by Sean Whitton
Post by Joost van Baal-Ilić
FWIW: our beloved doc-debian [1] package, which ships stuff like
/usr/share/doc/debian/constitution.txt.gz and
/usr/share/doc/debian/social-contract.txt.gz is another one of those old and
I don't think I have time to do the necessary updates in time for the freeze...
The work needed consists of interfacing with our infrastructure, no coding or
text drafting necessary.
I can adopt it if you would like. Let me know.
Sure!
If I have the necessary skills to interface with the infrastructure of
doc-debian, maybe I can help in some manual tasks. Tell me what is needed
please
What would be needed is another upload of the doc-debian package, with fresh
content. If it's too late for bookworm now, we might be able to get into the
first point-release. We currently ship e.g. an out of date copy of the DFSG.
Package git repo is currently at https://salsa.debian.org/groups/ddp-team .

I believe Sean didn't get to it yet. Maybe the two of you can coordinate?

Bye,

Joost
Sean Whitton
2023-02-15 02:40:01 UTC
Hello,
Post by Joost van Baal-Ilić
I believe Sean didn't get to it yet. Maybe the two of you can coordinate?
I have a bit of a backlog. I'll have to withdraw my offer of help for
now. My apologies.
Sean Whitton
Joost van Baal-Ilić
2023-02-15 05:30:01 UTC
Post by Sean Whitton
Post by Joost van Baal-Ilić
I believe Sean didn't get to it yet. Maybe the two of you can coordinate?
I have a bit of a backlog. I'll have to withdraw my offer of help for
now. My apologies.
Fair enough, thanks anyway.

Jathan: I've heard there's still a little bit of time to get new package
releases shipped with bookworm...

Bye,

Joost
jathan
2023-02-16 18:00:01 UTC
Post by Joost van Baal-Ilić
Hi,
Post by Sean Whitton
Post by Joost van Baal-Ilić
I believe Sean didn't get to it yet. Maybe the two of you can coordinate?
I have a bit of a backlog. I'll have to withdraw my offer of help for
now. My apologies.
Fair enough, thanks anyway.
Jathan: I've heard there's still a little bit of time to get new package
releases shipped with bookworm...
Bye,
Joost
Thanks a lot for your last answers Joost! Do I need to update the
package https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/doc-debian or to interface
with the infrastructure of doc-debian in someway?

Regards
Jathan

--
⢀⣎⠟⠻⢶⣊⠀
⣟⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Bustillos

https://wiki.debian.org/jathan
Joost van Baal-Ilić
2023-02-17 07:20:02 UTC
Post by Joost van Baal-Ilić
Post by Sean Whitton
Post by Joost van Baal-Ilić
I believe Sean didn't get to it yet. Maybe the two of you can coordinate?
I have a bit of a backlog. I'll have to withdraw my offer of help for
now. My apologies.
Fair enough, thanks anyway.
Jathan: I've heard there's still a little bit of time to get new package
releases shipped with bookworm...
Bye,
Joost
Thanks a lot for your last answers Joost! Do I need to update the package
https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/doc-debian or to interface with the
infrastructure of doc-debian in someway?
First thing would be to prepare a new release, possibly from what's now in git,
and upload it.

HTH, Bye,

Joost
jathan
2023-02-17 19:50:01 UTC
Post by Joost van Baal-Ilić
Hi,
Post by Joost van Baal-Ilić
Post by Sean Whitton
Post by Joost van Baal-Ilić
I believe Sean didn't get to it yet. Maybe the two of you can coordinate?
I have a bit of a backlog. I'll have to withdraw my offer of help for
now. My apologies.
Fair enough, thanks anyway.
Jathan: I've heard there's still a little bit of time to get new package
releases shipped with bookworm...
Bye,
Joost
Thanks a lot for your last answers Joost! Do I need to update the package
https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/doc-debian or to interface with the
infrastructure of doc-debian in someway?
First thing would be to prepare a new release, possibly from what's now in git,
and upload it.
HTH, Bye,
Joost
I thought the team were needing some infrastructure administration help.
So it is needed to prepare a new release doing Debian Packaging of
doc-deian?

Regards
Jathan

--
⢀⣎⠟⠻⢶⣊⠀
⣟⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Bustillos

https://wiki.debian.org/jathan
Joost van Baal-Ilić
2023-02-18 05:20:01 UTC
Post by Joost van Baal-Ilić
Post by Joost van Baal-Ilić
Post by Sean Whitton
Post by Joost van Baal-Ilić
I believe Sean didn't get to it yet. Maybe the two of you can
coordinate?
I have a bit of a backlog. I'll have to withdraw my offer of help
for now. My apologies.
Fair enough, thanks anyway.
Jathan: I've heard there's still a little bit of time to get new
package releases shipped with bookworm...
Thanks a lot for your last answers Joost! Do I need to update the package
https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/doc-debian or to interface with the
infrastructure of doc-debian in someway?
First thing would be to prepare a new release, possibly from what's now in
git, and upload it.
I thought the team were needing some infrastructure administration help. So
it is needed to prepare a new release doing Debian Packaging of doc-deian?
Yes, a new release, and ideally long term maintainership of the package. Sorry
for being unclear in my initial request for help.

Bye,

Joost

Osamu Aoki
2023-02-05 02:40:01 UTC

Thanks Sean.

Let me make some comment.
Post by Sean Whitton
Hello,
Post by Joost van Baal-Ilić
Hiya,
FWIW: our beloved doc-debian [1] package, which ships stuff like
/usr/share/doc/debian/constitution.txt.gz and
/usr/share/doc/debian/social-contract.txt.gz is another one of those old and
I don't think I have time to do the necessary updates in time for the freeze...
The work needed consists of interfacing with our infrastructure, no coding
or text drafting necessary.
I can adopt it if you would like.  Let me know.
If I understand correctly, we copy webwml source and create source for this deb
package manually in advance. In a oversimplified sense:

source of www.debian.org --> transform to create deb source. --> deb

What is better is create a source deb package as the pristine source and
generate corresponding www.debian.org pages from binary deb package content
files with cron script on www-master.d.o like debian-policy etc. Then updating
is simpler.

deb source package --> deb binary packages --> www.debian.org

Of course, this needs to be agreed by the party updating the constitution in
advance.

Just my thought.

Osamu
Joost van Baal-Ilić
2023-02-05 06:40:01 UTC
Hi Osamu e.a.,

On Sun, Feb 05, 2023 at 11:37:50AM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
<snip>
Post by Osamu Aoki
Post by Sean Whitton
Post by Joost van Baal-Ilić
[...]