"A Brief History of Debian: Chapter 2 - Leadership" wiki page needs some update
l***@tuta.io
2020-03-28 15:10:02 UTC
Hi everyone,

I think the following wiki page needs some update: https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/project-history/ch-leaders

"Chris Lamb was elected in April 2017 and is our current leader.
2.22 (last revised 17th June 2017)"

;)
Best regards,
l0f4r0
l***@tuta.io
l0f4r0
Andrei POPESCU
2020-03-28 16:10:03 UTC
Post by l***@tuta.io
Hi everyone,
I think the following wiki page needs some update: https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/project-history/ch-leaders
"Chris Lamb was elected in April 2017 and is our current leader.
2.22 (last revised 17th June 2017)"
Might I suggest you provide a patch? The sources appear to be on Salsa.
https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/project-history

Do note that elections are on-going and on 21.Apr.2020 Debian should
have a new leader (Sam Hartman, the current leader is not running for
re-election).

See debian-vote for details.

Kind regards,
Andrei
l***@tuta.io
2020-03-28 20:30:01 UTC
Andrei,
Post by Andrei POPESCU
Might I suggest you provide a patch? The sources appear to be on Salsa.
https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/project-history
I'm not used to Salsa but are you sure your link is correct?
Indeed, no merge request about this is in process and everything seems to be already OK at https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/project-history/-/blob/master/project-history.en.dbk:
"Sam Hartman was elected in April 2019 and is our current leader."
Post by Andrei POPESCU
Do note that elections are on-going and on 21.Apr.2020 Debian should
have a new leader (Sam Hartman, the current leader is not running for
re-election).
Duly noted, thanks ;)

Best regards,
l0f4r0
Holger Wansing
2020-03-31 13:20:01 UTC
we need to adapt the cron script that generate the manuals, so they work
with the repos in salsa (they are failing since the migration alioth ->
salsa).
I guess that until now, nobody could find the time/energy to fix this,
so any help is welcome.
Laura:
I read your proposal in #922222 to deal with this situation.
However, I wonder if we shouldn't switch to the solution, that's used for
other documentation in cron/parts/7doc (means: grap the documentation files
from the latest uploaded package version from the archive, instead of from
VCS repo).

I realize there might be a reason for using a different system here, but as
manpower is an issue everytime here, my argument would be: make the system
easier (use the same system everywhere) instead of maintaining different
solutions.

Of course, this would lead to more packaging work for the relevant doc packages
(for debian-history: we would need to do at least one upload per year, to get
the new leader documented on the website).
But looking at Laura's proposal, we are talking only about a very little number
of packages (if we leave out the /attic ones), so I think that could work.
I would volunteer for that upload work, if per-package upload rights were given
to me.

I have a tested patch for debian-history (against webmaster cron) ready and
attached.
(Once this is up and running on www-master, there are also some changings
needed in webwml though, but they are IMO uncritical.)

Any comments?

Holger
--
Holger Wansing <***@mailbox.org>
PGP-Fingerprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508 3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076
Holger Wansing
2020-04-01 14:00:02 UTC
Post by Holger Wansing
I have a tested patch for debian-history (against webmaster cron) ready and
attached.
(Once this is up and running on www-master, there are also some changings
needed in webwml though, but they are IMO uncritical.)
I went through the relevant packages again, and the packages which need to
be dealed with are only:
debian-history
hamradio-maintguide
harden-doc (aka Debian Securing Howto)

As Laura already pointed out, most of these packages are maintained in attic
repository on Salsa and should be save to remove, and the others are also
outdated/obsolete/dead, so the same counts for them:
apt-howto
book-suggestions
ddp-policy
dictionary
debian-euro-support
meta
network-administrator
programmer
repository-howto
system-administrator
tutorial
user
users-guide
debian-bugs
distribute-deb
dselect-beginner
fr/debian-fr-howto
intro-i18n

That leaves us with the tree mentioned above; for debian-history I already sent
a patch, and I have created (and tested) a another one to deal with
hamradio-maintguide and harden-doc via cron/parts/7doc - and we should be done.

If noone objects, I will implement this solution then.

Holger
Holger Wansing
2020-04-12 14:40:02 UTC
Post by Holger Wansing
Post by Holger Wansing
[...]
In a first step, I have now added debian-history to 7doc as well.
Will see how it goes - fingers crossed...

Holger
Holger Wansing
2020-04-13 14:50:02 UTC
Post by Holger Wansing
In a first step, I have now added debian-history to 7doc as well.
Will see how it goes - fingers crossed...
Now that we have the latest debian-history package version on the webpage,
we need an upload to get latest git into the archive :-)

Any volunteers?
Or someone, who wants to grant me with per-package upload rights for
debian-history?

Holger
Javier Fernandez-Sanguino
2020-04-13 20:50:02 UTC
Hi Holger,
Post by Holger Wansing
Hi,
Now that we have the latest debian-history package version on the webpage,
we need an upload to get latest git into the archive :-)
Any volunteers?
Or someone, who wants to grant me with per-package upload rights for
debian-history?
Thanks for taking care of this. I have a few changes to do to this package.
I will prioritise them and make an upload as early as possible.
Nevertheless, if you want to do it earlier and beat me to it please go
ahead.

Best regards

Javier
Holger Wansing
2020-04-13 22:20:02 UTC
Post by Javier Fernandez-Sanguino
Hi Holger,
Post by Holger Wansing
Hi,
Now that we have the latest debian-history package version on the webpage,
we need an upload to get latest git into the archive :-)
Any volunteers?
Or someone, who wants to grant me with per-package upload rights for
debian-history?
Thanks for taking care of this. I have a few changes to do to this package.
I will prioritise them and make an upload as early as possible.
Nevertheless, if you want to do it earlier and beat me to it please go
ahead.
To make this clear:

I am not a DD with upload rights, only a DM.
So, to be able to do uploads for debian-history, someone (preferably someone
from the package's Maintainers/Uploaders ?) needs to grant me with
'per-package upload rights' as in
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMaintainer#Granting_Permissions

Holger
Javier Fernandez-Sanguino
2020-04-18 13:10:02 UTC
Post by Holger Wansing
Hi,
Post by Javier Fernandez-Sanguino
Hi Holger,
Hi,
Post by Holger Wansing
we need an upload to get latest git into the archive :-)
Any volunteers?
Or someone, who wants to grant me with per-package upload rights for
debian-history?
Thanks for taking care of this. I have a few changes to do to this
package.
Post by Javier Fernandez-Sanguino
I will prioritise them and make an upload as early as possible.
Nevertheless, if you want to do it earlier and beat me to it please go
ahead.
I am not a DD with upload rights, only a DM.
Apologies, I was not aware.

In any case, I have just uploaded a few hours ago a new version of
project-history, also fixing some bugs which were pending in the BTS.

Best regards

Javier

Holger Wansing
2020-04-13 23:10:02 UTC
Post by Holger Wansing
Post by Holger Wansing
If noone objects, I will implement this solution then.
In a first step, I have now added debian-history to 7doc as well.
Will see how it goes - fingers crossed...
And now hamradio-maintguide and harden-doc added to 7doc.

Holger