RFC Debian Buster Release notes documentation : Power-saving regulations
Rémi Rouaud
2019-07-30 13:40:02 UTC

Sorry for my bad english, and sorry I'm not sysadmin.

I migrated from Debian 9 to 10 applying excellent documentation :
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.fr.html

All worked well.

The machine is a sftp server. And to be user-friendly Gnome graphic
environement runs on this server.

And my server entered in deep suspend power save mode few minutes later...

According to this bug report :
"It's 20 minutes, and is a result of the defaults in
gnome-settings-daemon 3.28 changing to comply with European and American
power-saving
regulations."

So If we migrate a debian server with gnome to Buster. The login screen
will suspend the server 20 minutes later the migration.
What a joke !

The solution consists in editing /etc/gdm3/greeter.dconf-defaults to
come back to 'blank' screen.

After the sysadmin can enforce refering to :
https://manpages.debian.org/jessie/systemd/systemd-sleep.conf.5.en.html
https://wiki.debian.org/Suspend

I suggest the release notes documentation should point this small but
very critical change.

Best regards,
Rémi Rouaud
Paul Gevers
2019-08-25 19:20:02 UTC
Package: release-notes

Hi Rémi,

Thanks for your report.
Post by Rémi Rouaud
Hi,
[...]
Next time, it's better to file a bug report (as I have done now), as
unfortunately, e-mail have a tendency to sometimes get lost.

Does anybody have a proposal for some text?

Paul
Debian Bug Tracking System
2023-01-29 20:20:01 UTC
Your message dated Sun, 29 Jan 2023 21:15:21 +0100
with message-id <f608cc71-3f8d-6368-1079-***@debian.org>
and subject line buster is EOL for a while; closing release-notes bugs
has caused the Debian Bug report #935744,
regarding RFC Debian Buster Release notes documentation : Power-saving regulations
to be marked as done.

This means that you claim that the problem has been dealt with.
If this is not the case it is now your responsibility to reopen the
Bug report if necessary, and/or fix the problem forthwith.

(NB: If you are a system administrator and have no idea what this
message is talking about, this may indicate a serious mail system
misconfiguration somewhere. Please contact ***@bugs.debian.org
immediately.)
--
935744: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=935744
Debian Bug Tracking System
Contact ***@bugs.debian.org with problems
Debian Bug Tracking System
2023-01-29 20:20:01 UTC
Your message dated Sun, 29 Jan 2023 21:15:21 +0100
with message-id <f608cc71-3f8d-6368-1079-***@debian.org>
and subject line buster is EOL for a while; closing release-notes bugs
has caused the Debian Bug report #928956,
regarding Document removal of ecryptfs-utils from Buster

928956: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=928956
Debian Bug Tracking System
2023-01-29 20:20:01 UTC
Your message dated Sun, 29 Jan 2023 21:15:21 +0100
with message-id <f608cc71-3f8d-6368-1079-***@debian.org>
and subject line buster is EOL for a while; closing release-notes bugs
has caused the Debian Bug report #933101,
regarding buster: baseline for armel raised to ARMv5T

933101: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=933101
Debian Bug Tracking System
2023-01-29 20:20:01 UTC
Your message dated Sun, 29 Jan 2023 21:15:21 +0100
with message-id <f608cc71-3f8d-6368-1079-***@debian.org>
and subject line buster is EOL for a while; closing release-notes bugs
has caused the Debian Bug report #774232,
regarding recommend using a wired connexion

774232: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=774232
Debian Bug Tracking System
2023-01-29 20:40:02 UTC
Your message dated Sun, 29 Jan 2023 21:15:21 +0100
with message-id <f608cc71-3f8d-6368-1079-***@debian.org>
and subject line buster is EOL for a while; closing release-notes bugs
has caused the Debian Bug report #960026,
regarding [release-notes] KDE is no longer supported as a Desktop Environment without systemd as init-system (PID 1)

960026: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=960026