Discussion about wiki.debian.org/skype
Francewhoa
2015-07-05 21:10:01 UTC
This message is to discuss edits to https://wiki.debian.org/skype
All contributors are welcome :)
Francewhoa
2015-07-05 22:30:02 UTC
Message from Leandro / LeandroDoctors. Who might join this discussion later.
- - -
2015 Jul 5 - 3:48am
Salut, François, I saw you updated the Skype page in the Debian wiki. (I
could not find any option in the wiki to send you a message through it.
Luckily, you published your website in you profile page.) Are you really
sure every time we want to upgrade Skype we have to delete the .Skype
folder? I have been using it since version 2.X, never even considered
doing that, and never had any troubles... Would you reconsider undoing
that change, please? Best, Leandro
Leandro, same for me. I seldom had to delete the ".Skype" folder. I
usually just install the new version. But when Skype gets too buggy
deleting the ".Skype" folder sometime fixed it. Related to that Skype
contacts are stored on the Skype server not that local folder.

BTW that paragraph about deleting the ".Skype" folder was introduced by
HamishBowman on 2014-08-08 12:12:10
Sources
* https://wiki.debian.org/skype?action=diff&rev1=82&rev2=83
* https://wiki.debian.org/skype?action=recall&rev=83

I just moved that contribution to its own paragraph under "Upgrading
section"

HamishBowman profile at https://wiki.debian.org/HamishBowman
Francewhoa
2015-07-05 23:00:02 UTC
Leandro, it seems we agree that deleting the folder is not a
requirement. For now I added a note about that under "Frequently Ask
Questions (F.A.Q.) about upgrading Skype" section at
https://wiki.debian.org/skype#Upgrading_Skype

In some cases delete the ".Skype" folder is useful. But I agree it's not
a required step during each upgrade.

How does that sound?
Francewhoa

Joost van Baal-Ilić
2015-07-06 04:00:02 UTC
Post by Francewhoa
This message is to discuss edits to https://wiki.debian.org/skype
All contributors are welcome :)
Care to add the output of "lintian --pedantic skype*.deb" to
https://wiki.debian.org/skype ? Currently only output of lintian with default
level is listed.

Thanks, Bye,

Joost
--
Language is a virus from outer space.
-- William S Burroughs
http://mdcc.cx/ http://ad1810.com/ Tilburg, .nl
Paulo Almeida
2016-12-20 12:00:01 UTC

I read in the Debian Skype wiki that you can't do calls on Web Skype,
but I just tried it in Jessie and it worked, for a conference call (no
video though). I think it only works in Chromium (I tried with Firefox
too, but some time ago). It would be useful to add that information to
the wiki, so people know they don't have to install the alpha version of
Skype for Linux.

Best regards,
Paulo Almeida
Joost van Baal-Ilić
2016-12-20 12:50:01 UTC
Hi Paulo,
Post by Paulo Almeida
I read in the Debian Skype wiki that you can't do calls on Web Skype,
but I just tried it in Jessie and it worked, for a conference call (no
video though). I think it only works in Chromium (I tried with Firefox
too, but some time ago). It would be useful to add that information to
the wiki, so people know they don't have to install the alpha version of
Skype for Linux.
Thanks for your feedback & contribution. You could make this suggested edit
yourself; you need to create an account at https://wiki.debian.org/ for that.

If not; some other readers of this list might want to add your suggestion
to https://wiki.debian.org/skype .

Bye,

Joost
Paulo Almeida
2016-12-21 16:50:02 UTC
Hi Joost,

I created the account and added the information on the Wiki. I don't
know if it should be more prominent (I just updated the Skype Web
section), but since it was my first edit I kept it localized. If people
feel it's important enough, maybe a note can be added to the sentence
suggesting other software, like ekiga, linphone and jitsi.

Best,
Paulo
Post by Joost van Baal-Ilić
Hi Paulo,