Where is Console font config?
sebul
2021-10-16 23:50:01 UTC
Hello.
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/customizing.en.html#consolefont
says /etc/kbd/config file
But, I cannot find /etc/kbd/config on my Debian.
How can I solve it?
Justin B Rye
2021-10-17 07:40:01 UTC
Post by sebul
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/customizing.en.html#consolefont
says /etc/kbd/config file
But, I cannot find /etc/kbd/config on my Debian.
How can I solve it?
/etc/kbd/config is deprecated in favour of /etc/default/console-setup
(see /usr/share/doc/kbd/NEWS.Debian.gz). This seems to imply kbd's
package description is also cobwebby:

# This package allows you to set up the Linux console, change the font,
# resize text mode virtual consoles and remap the keyboard.
# .
# You will probably want to install a set of data files, such as the one
# in the “console-data” package.

For a start there's no such package as "console-data" (does it mean
console-setup-linux?)

Mind you, given that I've never particularly wanted to do any of these
things before, and the package only claims to be "Priority: optional",
why do I have it installed? Presumably it's because Debian-Installer
needs this capacity, and leaves console-setup, console-setup-linux,
and kbd holding one another installed by a dependency loop; but as far
as I can see I might as well have purged all three of them years ago.
--
JBR with qualifications in linguistics, experience as a Debian
RL
2021-10-19 22:00:02 UTC
Post by Justin B Rye
Post by sebul
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/customizing.en.html#consolefont
says /etc/kbd/config file
But, I cannot find /etc/kbd/config on my Debian.
How can I solve it?
/etc/kbd/config is deprecated in favour of /etc/default/console-setup
(see /usr/share/doc/kbd/NEWS.Debian.gz). This seems to imply kbd's
# This package allows you to set up the Linux console, change the font,
# resize text mode virtual consoles and remap the keyboard.
# .
# You will probably want to install a set of data files, such as the one
# in the “console-data” package.
For a start there's no such package as "console-data" (does it mean
console-setup-linux?)
there is https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=console-data

but i am equally puzzled by what any of these three packages (kbd,
console-data, console-setup) actually do, or which i really need. I find
the desciptions of all unclear.

The installer leaves you with kbd (which recommends console-setup |
console-data) but i've never known how to find out why.
Osamu Aoki
2021-10-30 00:10:01 UTC
I suppose debian-faq and kbd packages needs to be updated.

For the original question, in my debian-reference explains as:
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch08.en.html#_the_keyboard_input_for_linux_console_and_x_window

---
The Debian system can be configured to work with many international keyboard
arrangements using the keyboard-configuration and console-setup packages.

# dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
# dpkg-reconfigure console-setup

For the Linux console and the X Window system, this updates configuration parameters
in "/etc/default/keyboard" and "/etc/default/console-setup". This also configures the
Linux console font. Many non-ASCII characters including accented characters used by
many European languages can be made available with dead key, AltGr key, and compose
key.
---

I agree with Justine that things has changed and I think I updated my doc over 10
years ago. Of course, I don't remember the details now. (I will continue this
discussion after quoted text.)
Post by RL
Post by Justin B Rye
Post by sebul
[...]
Let's check what are used on Debian.

kbd and keyboard-configuration and console-setup are introduced around 2010 and
widely used since.
* https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=kbd
* https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=console-setup
console-data and console-common usage are not used for new default installations
since 2010.
* https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=console-data
* https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=console-common

Let's use aptitude to see kbd package.

---
i A --\ kbd
2.3.0-3 2.3.0-3
This package allows you to set up the Linux console, change the font, resize text
mode virtual consoles and remap the keyboard.

You will probably want to install a set of data files, such as the one in the
“console-data” package.
--\ Recommends (1)
--\ console-setup | console-data
p console-data 2:1.12-8
i A console-setup 1.205
--\ Conflicts (1)
--- console-utilities
--- Package names provided by kbd (1)
--- Packages which depend on kbd (14)
--\ Versions of kbd (1)
i A 2.3.0-3
---

kbd installs console-setup as the primary candidate as recommend and skips to install
console-date. But its description still carry situation when initial introduction of
kbd package happened. It should now say “console-setup” instead of “console-data” to
reduce confusion.

I don't know why old console-data and console-common is still in archive. I don't
use it any more. But maybe for some special system, they still need to configure as
it was done before 2010. If it works, Debian doesn't drop packages. So there are
old packages in archives which normal people don't need to use.
Brian Potkin
2021-10-30 19:30:01 UTC
Post by RL
Post by Justin B Rye
Post by sebul
[...]
For those who like logs and wonder why they have console-setup on their
systems:

Oct 30 15:49:24 apt-install: Queueing package console-setup for later installation
Oct 30 15:51:44 in-target: console-setup-linux kbd xkb-data
Oct 30 15:51:44 in-target: console-setup console-setup-linux kbd xkb-data
Oct 30 15:51:44 in-target: Get:2 cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 11.1.0 _Bullseye_ - Official i386 NETINST 20211009-10:11] b
ullseye/main i386 console-setup-linux all 1.205 [1,872 kB]
Oct 30 15:51:44 in-target: Get:4 cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 11.1.0 _Bullseye_ - Official i386 NETINST 20211009-10:11] b
ullseye/main i386 console-setup all 1.205 [100 kB]
Oct 30 15:51:47 in-target: Selecting previously unselected package console-setup-linux.^M
Oct 30 15:51:47 in-target: Preparing to unpack .../console-setup-linux_1.205_all.deb ...^M
Oct 30 15:51:47 in-target: Unpacking console-setup-linux (1.205) ...^M
Oct 30 15:51:49 in-target: Selecting previously unselected package console-setup.^M
Oct 30 15:51:49 in-target: Preparing to unpack .../console-setup_1.205_all.deb ...^M
Oct 30 15:51:49 in-target: Unpacking console-setup (1.205) ...^M
Oct 30 15:51:49 in-target: Setting up console-setup-linux (1.205) ...^M
Oct 30 15:51:51 in-target: Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/console-setup.service → /lib/sy
stemd/system/console-setup.service.^M
Oct 30 15:51:52 in-target: Setting up console-setup (1.205) ...^M

console-setup doesn't get on a system via the base system or standard
system utilities or dependencies. It is a consquence of installing
a workable console and keyboard at the start of d-i. A brilliant idea
in my view.
--
Brian.