How to edit debiandoc in emacs with nxml
Bob Bernstein
2016-09-28 14:00:01 UTC
I have a tool chain working in Jessie (i686) using emacs 24.4.1
and nXML that nicely creates DocBook 4.5 xml documents.

Now I would like to return to my first love, debiandoc, and do
likewise. Has anyone hints on how to achieve this? I don't seem
to be able to get the schema set correctly, if that's even
possible with debiandoc, which I know is SGML.

NB. Are debs of older emacs available? Unfortunately emacs 24
broke one of my favorite tools, which served me enormously well
for years: the psgmlx package (not a Debian package ever afaik).

All best,
--
IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual
addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is
metaphysical beliefs.
W. Martin Borgert
2016-09-28 14:20:02 UTC
Post by Bob Bernstein
Now I would like to return to my first love, debiandoc, and do
likewise. Has anyone hints on how to achieve this? I don't seem to
be able to get the schema set correctly, if that's even possible
with debiandoc, which I know is SGML.
Please ignore me, if my answer is not helpful:

When you meet your first love after many years, you may find out that
you both are like two strangers who have changed.

I suggest to use DocBook XML, not debiandoc SGML. The former is used
by many people and projects, the latter only by Debian and even here
only for old documents nobody had time to convert. The DocBook XML
toolchain is actively maintained, the debiandoc one is stalled. nxml
is really cool, psgml is the past.

Keep your first love in good memory, but let it go and be happy with
your new one!
Post by Bob Bernstein
Y ahora que estoy frente a ti
parecemos, ya ves, dos extraños...
¡cómo cambian las cosas los años!
Cheers
Bob Bernstein
2016-09-29 15:40:01 UTC
I would never ignore you sir; I am grateful that you responded
so promptly. But back to documentation matters...

To your knowledge, or that of any of the assembled faithful, has
anyone gone through the elisp code of psgmlx and fixed the
syntax that generates "old-style backquotes detected" error
messages in emacs24?

Fwiw, Stackexchange offers some suggestions:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8109665/how-fix-emacs-error-old-style-backquotes-detected

All best,
--
"A person of great honour in Ireland (who was pleased to stoop
so low as to look into my mind) used to tell me that my mind was