[#599018 debian-faq] Section 10 (Debian and the kernel) is woefully out of date
Holger Wansing
2016-05-16 03:20:01 UTC

I'm looking to work on this long standing bug against debian-faq:

I would appreciate a review, since the bugreport is more than 5 years old:
is this all still relevant/true ?

Quoting the bug submitter:

10.1: The libc kernel headers are no longer in libc6-dev; they're in
linux-libc-dev.

10.2: The recommended way to compile the kernel into a Debian package is
now to just run "make pkg-deb" after configuring it. kernel-package is
no longer used for the official kernel packages, and tends to be overly
complex.

10.4: modconf and /etc/modules.conf are deprecated and shouldn't
actually get used anymore. The list of modules at boot-time is still
/etc/modules but it rarely needs to be touched. Module-specific
configuration is now done in /etc/modprobe.d.

Thanks
Holger
Created with Sylpheed 3.5.0 under
D E B I A N L I N U X 8 . 0 " J E S S I E " .

Holger Wansing
2016-05-21 17:20:03 UTC
Post by Holger Wansing
is this all still relevant/true ?
10.1: The libc kernel headers are no longer in libc6-dev; they're in
linux-libc-dev.
10.2: The recommended way to compile the kernel into a Debian package is
now to just run "make pkg-deb" after configuring it. kernel-package is
no longer used for the official kernel packages, and tends to be overly
complex.
10.4: modconf and /etc/modules.conf are deprecated and shouldn't
actually get used anymore. The list of modules at boot-time is still
/etc/modules but it rarely needs to be touched. Module-specific
configuration is now done in /etc/modprobe.d.
Since the patch provided with the bugreport does no longer apply cleanly,
because some involved text has already been removed, I prepared a new
patch, attached.

victory
2016-05-24 03:30:01 UTC
#: debian-faq.sgml:44 choosing.sgml:259
there wont be

will not|won't

#: debian-faq.sgml:44 choosing.sgml:318
But when &testingreleasename; becomes stable,
you will still be tracking &testingreleasename;.

+even

#: debian-faq.sgml:49 pkgtools.sgml:95
..
apt-get autoremove -> apt autoremove

# LANG=C apt autoremove
E: Invalid operation autoremove
(it's jessie here)

#: debian-faq.sgml:49 pkgtools.sgml:133
To list all packages, for which newer package versions are available, run:

2nd "package" is redundant

#: debian-faq.sgml:49 pkgtools.sgml:272
The Debian installer will typically install automaticaly the task

automatical*l*y
--
victory
no need to CC me :-)
Justin B Rye
2016-05-24 07:50:02 UTC
Post by victory
#: debian-faq.sgml:49 pkgtools.sgml:133
2nd "package" is redundant
And by English punctuation rules the comma shouldn't be there either.
Post by victory
#: debian-faq.sgml:49 pkgtools.sgml:272
The Debian installer will typically install automaticaly the task
automatical*l*y
And it's in the wrong place - you can't put the adverb between verb
and object. We could move it to the end of the sentence, but that's
weak; better to move it to before the verb. Of course this means it
collides with the adverb that's already there, but *that* one can
dodge to sentence-initial position:

Typically, the Debian installer will automatically install the task
associated with a standard system and a desktop environment.
--
JBR with qualifications in linguistics, experience as a Debian
Holger Wansing
2016-05-24 18:30:01 UTC
Post by victory
#: debian-faq.sgml:49 pkgtools.sgml:272
The Debian installer will typically install automaticaly the task
automatical*l*y
And it's in the wrong place - you can't put the adverb between verb
and object. We could move it to the end of the sentence, but that's
weak; better to move it to before the verb. Of course this means it
collides with the adverb that's already there, but *that* one can
victory and Justin,

thanks for your suggestions. They are more than welcome. I will commit that
soon.
Post by Justin B Rye
#: debian-faq.sgml:49 pkgtools.sgml:95
..
apt-get autoremove -> apt autoremove
# LANG=C apt autoremove
E: Invalid operation autoremove
(it's jessie here)
victory:
you are right for jessie, that command was added for the stretch version
of apt.

Holger Wansing
2016-05-24 20:30:01 UTC
Post by Holger Wansing
victory and Justin,
thanks for your suggestions. They are more than welcome. I will commit that
soon.
Proposed patch attached.

Holger Wansing

Holger Wansing
2016-05-24 19:30:01 UTC
Post by Justin B Rye
Post by victory
#: debian-faq.sgml:49 pkgtools.sgml:133
2nd "package" is redundant
And by English punctuation rules the comma shouldn't be there either.
Sorry: the first or the second comma, which shall be removed?

To list all packages, for which newer package versions are available, run:
^ ^

Justin B Rye
2016-05-24 19:50:02 UTC
Post by Holger Wansing
Post by Justin B Rye
Post by victory
#: debian-faq.sgml:49 pkgtools.sgml:133
2nd "package" is redundant
And by English punctuation rules the comma shouldn't be there either.
Sorry: the first or the second comma, which shall be removed?
I was looking at the "packages" bit and forgot the end of the sentence!
Post by Holger Wansing
^ ^
Drop the first one. In English, "packages, for which..." introduces a
description that applies to all packages; "packages for which..."
introduces a way of identifying the relevant packages. You want the
latter:
Holger Wansing
2016-05-27 19:50:02 UTC
Post by Holger Wansing
Hi,
Post by Holger Wansing
is this all still relevant/true ?
10.1: The libc kernel headers are no longer in libc6-dev; they're in
linux-libc-dev.
10.2: The recommended way to compile the kernel into a Debian package is
now to just run "make pkg-deb" after configuring it. kernel-package is
no longer used for the official kernel packages, and tends to be overly
complex.
10.4: modconf and /etc/modules.conf are deprecated and shouldn't
actually get used anymore. The list of modules at boot-time is still
/etc/modules but it rarely needs to be touched. Module-specific
configuration is now done in /etc/modprobe.d.
Since the patch provided with the bugreport does no longer apply cleanly,
because some involved text has already been removed, I prepared a new
patch, attached.
If noone objects, I will commit that in the next one or two weeks.

Holger Wansing