doc-base and examples?
Diane Trout
2018-05-28 16:50:02 UTC

I was wondering if one should be able to register examples (as source
code) with doc-base?

I.e. I was packaging a python package with sphinx documentation and
have:

/usr/share/doc/<package>-doc/html (contains all the html source)
/usr/share/doc/<package>-doc/examples (contains .py example files)

But I don't think Format: Text is appropriate, as that seems more to
indicate different versions of the documentation.

Diane
Diane Trout
2018-05-29 05:00:01 UTC
I would not register example code in my packages with doc-base. As I
understand it, doc-base is merely intended to be used to register
more
traditional documentation: manuals, faqs, reference documentation,
etc. And in
.html, .pdf, etc.
That's the way that doc-base currently works.

I was just thinking that when using a browser based tool like
doc-central or dwww it might be useful if there was a way for the
examples to be viewed?

Diane
Joost van Baal-Ilić
2018-05-29 05:40:02 UTC
Post by Diane Trout
I would not register example code in my packages with doc-base. As I
understand it, doc-base is merely intended to be used to register more
traditional documentation: manuals, faqs, reference documentation, etc. And in
.html, .pdf, etc.
That's the way that doc-base currently works.
I was just thinking that when using a browser based tool like
doc-central or dwww it might be useful if there was a way for the
examples to be viewed?
A, now I understand. Yes, that would be nice. Adding (optional, automatic)
typesetting to code like line numbering and syntax highlighting would be nice
to offer too.

wishlist bug for doc-base, maybe?

Bye,

Joost

Joost van Baal-Ilić
2018-05-29 05:10:01 UTC
Hi Diane,
Post by Diane Trout
I was wondering if one should be able to register examples (as source
code) with doc-base?
I.e. I was packaging a python package with sphinx documentation and
/usr/share/doc/<package>-doc/html (contains all the html source)
/usr/share/doc/<package>-doc/examples (contains .py example files)
But I don't think Format: Text is appropriate, as that seems more to
indicate different versions of the documentation.
I would not register example code in my packages with doc-base. As I
understand it, doc-base is merely intended to be used to register more
traditional documentation: manuals, faqs, reference documentation, etc. And in
.html, .pdf, etc.

My € 0,02.

Bye, Joost